Monday, January 14, 2013

10 Things I'll tell my daughters...

I love my girls. I want them to grow up and be 50x better than I am. I want them to be filled with confidence, humour and a massive heart. I think they are already overtaking me in all these things. I was a dumb arse growing up. I'm pretty certain it took the passing of my dad and then children to turn me half decent but here are 10 things I would tell my daughters...
  1. You will survive heartbreak. There will be moments your heart hurts so much and you are certain it's about to explode through your chest. It's better to feel than to be scared of it;
  2. Always be the better person. I don't mean like a competition, but always try to do the most you can do. Then you will feel confident in your decision to walk away and never look back;
  3. It's okay to be honest and say 'No'.  Don't be a 'Yes' girl.
  4. Be charitable. In small ways and big ways. It feels good to give and it means so much to the people you are helping;
  5. Never, ever settle. It is way better to be by yourself than with someone that's not good enough;
  6. Never confuse being alone with loneliness. Embrace your alone time. The silence is magical and it's wonderful to enjoy those moments;
  7. People make mistakes, you will make mistakes and other people will make mistakes that hurt you. Don't let the mistake rule you. Don't let this change the person you are and react in a way you can be proud of;
  8. You are amazing, just the way you (Thanks Bruno Mars);
  9. Say things things that make you giggle; and
  10. When all else fails, come home and I'll make it better.
What advice do you give your children?

43 comments:

  1. I used to impart (ie. force!) 'on' my niece life lessons... important stuff like - DON'T start shaving your legs too early cos you'll really regret that and so forth.

    I'd also told her NEVER to wear white shoes or trousers, though suspect things have changed a bit since then (back when they were very Gold Coast trashy!)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when white was trashy too. I agree about the leg shaving too.

      Delete
  2. Honestly, this is so sweet.
    I love the words you have written here for your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go with your intuition - if it doesn't feel right - it probably isn't! Cheers! Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post, Rach! Actually brought a tear to my eye. Wise words for little girls everywhere xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eventually you'l get to the point where you don't care about what other people think of you. Eventually you'll learn to be happy in your skin, and all 'this' will pass. (youth truly is wasted on the young!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great, and so true that we all wish so many things for our girls! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I think I will tell my daughter to wear whatever she likes (within reason, ha!) because I've spent so many years thinking I'm too fat/uncool/daggy or I've got nowhere to wear it, to wear the clothes I really wanted and loved. Seems a bit superficial but actually I think it is such a liberating concept!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. I think it's something we should all live by. I do love the last point, I'd be lost without my mum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE. That last one is a good one - you can ALWAYS come home to Mum :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such great advice, particularly for daughters. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet Rachel. I would tell my girls similar things...and tell them to love themselves, to not be afraid of hurt and pain - it will pass, and to tell them they will always be loved.
    Zanni x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What wonderful things to tell them. I especially like the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, 6 and 7 are my favourites. I am so gonna steal this list to give to my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've just printed this out! No 1. and No. 10 are my favs!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are sweet. Especially love your last point x

    ReplyDelete
  16. hope that there's not a copy write on these, they are going on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great list. I especially love encouraging them to be honest and being able to say no. I wish I'd been told that as a girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was told that too. Sometimes you are so concerned with manners you don't think you can say no.

      Delete
  18. Beautiful...a friend of mine once told me that the only thing you need to know to be a parent and the the only thing you ever need to teach your kids is right from wrong. Not as easy as it sounds but I guess it's a good place to start from.

    A lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah! "When all else fails, come home and I'll make it better." Nothing like the arms of a mum, even when you are a grown up girl... Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list, applies to my boys as well. So scary thinking of them growing up. Hopefully they take on board what we teach them and what we demonstrate. Good people with big hearts - that's the ultimate compliment x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Rachel...you got me teary! Aaaargh! I wish I was told #3 as I was growing up. Infact, I wish I had this entire list as my guide!

    ReplyDelete