Earlier this week I read an article about unwritten rules and it got me thinking. Thinking too much. I must have more unwritten rules or pet peeves than most people. I have been walking and driving around the last two days making notes whenever someone broke an unwritten rule or seemed to lack general social graces. It made me feel like a member of the "Secret Polite Police" or 'Miss Suburban Manners'. Feel free to make your own suggestions and become a founding member of the SPP.
- If someone lets you in, acknowledge them with a little wave. It's their payment for nice manners;
- Speeding up on a round about so you can show people they didn't have space to enter, just shows you are a loser; and
- Park within the lines of the car space.
- Don't talk on your phone when you are at the checkout; and
- Move your trolley to the side of the aisle when walking about.
- Boys - pull your pants up. We are looking at your undies and you are not Marky Mark; and
- Girls - pull your tops down. As much as I hate the term 'muffin top', that combined with peek-a-boo undies, you can do much better than this.
- Don't be vague with your status updates. "Why me????" "Sigh..." "Over it". Then don't respond to the concerned responses;
- Bad grammar. 'Y dont u just lern 2 spel? lol :)'; and
- 4000 friends doesn't make you popular.
Host, guest and eating
- Be punctual. If it is unavoidable, then phone before your arrival time;
- Host does not = staff. Be a good guest;
- Bring something. If you are a drinker, then don't bring less than you plan to drink;
- If you have been invited to eat, tell the host beforehand if you have any dietary requirements, not when you sit down to eat;
- No-one wants to see your masticated food. Keep your mouth closed when eating; and
- Thank the cook.
- The speaker phone is for when you are alone and not when around other people. No one wants to hear what you did on the weekend, etc;
- Leave the phone alone when you are eating. The phone enhances already gross chewing sounds; and
- We can hear the toilet flushing. We know what you were doing.
- Please don't sniff or snort, use a tissue; and
- Replace empty toilet rolls and put the old roll in the bin.
Pets, these need to be mentioned because the title is Pet Peeves
- Please keep your dog fenced. For their safety and others; and
- Dogs shouldn't bark all the time. Work out the reason and help them.